Friday 13 January 2012

The Slayer by Nadine LaPierre

RCMP Constable Danielle Renaud had been waiting ages for a chance to transfer from General Investigations to Special Investigations. Her chance finally arrived when Staff Sergeant John Kline, head of the cold case unit, is in need of a special investigator, a lesbian, to investigate the death of nurse Kristina Buchanan eighteen months earlier. Danielle meets his requirement nicely.


Danielle jumps at the chance, even though the transfer is only temporary to begin with. Little does Danielle know that what should be an exciting new beginning for her, will in fact turn into the worst nightmare of her life.

Lilly Marsh is a Mi’Kmaq Crown Attorney and Danielle’s friend, or should be. But is Lilly on the same side of the law as Danielle? Will she impede Danielle’s investigation to further her own career?

Melissa Lambert, Senior DNA Technician, takes an instant dislike to Danielle the first time they meet, but becomes friends with Lilly. Will she help or hinder Danielle’s investigation?

Nathalie Boudreau is a songwriter among other careers. She is also Lilly’s love interest. But Danielle who has just split up from a long term, unsatisfying relationship with Rachel, finds Nathalie attractive. Will Danielle act on her attraction even though she knows it’s wrong as Nathalie is part of her investigation?

During the course of Danielle’s murder investigation, it becomes apparent that all three of these women have something to hide. But what? Can it be that one of these women is the murderer?

This is the first book in a new series featuring the beautiful, intelligent RMCP Constable Danielle Renaud. It’s hard to believe that such an intriguing, thrilling well written story can be a debut book.

From the very first page I was hooked into the book. I found myself so immersed in this story, that I didn’t want to put the book down. But I paced myself. This book cannot be rushed. It must be savored. To miss a clue would be tragic, it could alter the whole perception of the story.The characters are well fleshed out and each character has a part to play in the exquisite plot. I really loved the characters, the descriptions of them are excellent, so it was easy to picture them, making them real for me. I loved the scenic descriptions of Nova Scotia and Quebec and surroundings. All this added to my enjoyment.

There are so many possibilities as to the outcome. So many twists, turns, ups and downs, it was like being on a rollercoaster and a merry-go-round at the same time. So many red herrings, my head was spinning. I am usually quite good at figuring out who the murderer is fairly early on, but not this time. Each time I thought I knew who the murderer was, I was proved wrong. A truly excellent suspense.

This is not a book that you can read in a couple of hours. It is long, something to really get your teeth into. For those of you who do not like blood and gore, don’t let the title put you off. There is very little of either in it. Just pure, unadulterated mystery, suspense and intrigue. Oh and some romance for good measure.

The story did conclude, but the ending was a real shock. It has left me gasping for the next instalment. I hope we don’t have long to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment