Friday 20 January 2012

Different Dress by Lori L Lake

Kip Galvin is getting on with her life after splitting up with her ex lover Bren. She is still nursing a broken heart. Kip is a school teacher, who writes songs and sings in her spare time. When singer Lacey Leigh Jaxon gets rid of yet another opening act on her tour, Kip is asked to stand in. It’s a really big chance for her.

Jaime Esperanza is an electrician, come general dogs body with the tour. She deals with just about every job, including dealing with her ex lover, Lacey’s, tantrums.

Kip and Jaime hang out together, forming a comfortable friendship. It doesn’t take long for Kip to find out that Jaime and Lacey had been an item and that Jaime is still hung up on her. Which is a shame for Kip as she is falling in love with Jaime, big time.

Although Kip doesn’t get on with Lacey, she gets on really well with the rest of Lacey’s band and they play well together, much to Lacey’s disgust. As time passes, Lacey becomes more irrational and unmanageable. It eventually becomes apparent that Lacey’s problem is alcohol. She is fast spiralling out of control.

When Lacey hits rock bottom, she wants Jaime back. Will Jaime drop everything and go running back? What will happen to Jaime and Kip’s friendship? Will all this affect the tour? Will Kip stay around to find out?

This is not the first time I’ve read this book and it won’t be my last. It is the first time I’ve put my thoughts out about it though. As with all of Lori’s books, it drew me in from the very beginning. I love the two main characters, Kip and Jaime. I became so caught up in the story that I found myself wanting to slap Lacey and really shake Jaime. I’ve never been on a tour with a band, but now that I’ve read this book, I feel that I have experienced the pleasure. The book is extremely well written and I lost myself completely in the story. I was there with them all. The cast of supporting characters added a lot to this story. I can’t say enough wonderful things about this book. It’s a true delight and will always have a place on my book shelf.

2 comments:

  1. Terry, thank you for reviewing my book and saying such kind things. I am SO glad you liked this one. Seems like it's often been overlooked.
    Have a great day!
    ;-) Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've loved all your books Lori. I am going to re-read your earlier books and will review them as I read them.

    ReplyDelete