Thursday 9 May 2013

Irrevocable by Kate Genet


Serenity’s wife Lillian is dying. Serenity can’t come to terms with it. Cancer has woven it’s devastating tentacles throughout her beloved Lillian’s body and also figuratively, through Serenity’s own heart, making her question her love for Lillian. It’s now got to the stage where Serenity is no longer a wife to Lillian, just a nursemaid. When did it all change? After the diagnosis certainly, but it must have come on gradually.

Serenity and Lillian embark on a road trip to allow Lillian to say her final goodbyes to her mother.

A strange encounter with a weird light on the journey has Serenity questioning herself as to whether she’s had a glimpse of the supernatural.

When Serenity meets Julie, a neighbour of Lillian’s mother, she finds a comfort she knows she shouldn’t. She loves her wife, doesn’t she? Even though she’s questioned it in the past.

Serenity is seeing more of the strange glowing orbs. She’s convinced these lights are going after Lillian for some reason. Somehow everything all seems to be connected, the lights, Lillian, Julie. What are these lights? Who or what are they after?

When the truth finally emerges, Serenity has to make some choices that she’d rather not make. Serenity isn’t liking any of these weird goings on, not one little bit.

Another excellent story from master storyteller, Kate Genet. A page turner from beginning to end. I have to admit, when I read the synopsis, I was wary of the subject matter. Death and dying isn’t exactly light reading. But, this isn’t a regular story of someone with a terminal illness. Although, I have to say, it was heart breaking in parts. But Kate Genet handled the subject with an incredible sensitivity and understanding.

The encounter with the supernatural was tense and spell binding. I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough to find out which direction this story was heading in. I have to say, I was in two minds as to whether I liked Serenity and Julie or not. Don’t misunderstand me, their characters were very well written and formed. It was their behavior that I wasn’t over joyed with. But I have no idea how I would react if I was in Serenity’s or Julie’s position. I did warm to them both in the end. My heart though was with Lillian. Terminally ill and defenceless, her character really tugged at my heart strings. The rest of the characters bolstered up the main characters and enhanced the story through to it’s astounding conclusion.

I never know what to expect when I pick up a Kate Genet book. Her stories are always so diverse and no two stories are ever the same, or even similar. She writes in a nice easy to read comfortable way, making her books a must buy for me.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment