Sunday 16 June 2013

Rayne's New Beginning by Dannie Marsden


Sequel to Rayne Comes To Town  

Set five years later.

Rayne Mathews had run away from her home and her abusive father at sixteen. There was no way she was going to marry the old man her father had set her up with. She ran to Willow Springs to her aunt and uncle’s farm, only to find they had both passed away. Her uncle had left the farm to Rayne.

When Rayne rescued saloon girl Emma from a life of horror and pain, they both set to and ran the farm together. Soon they fell in love. Unfortunately a terrible tragedy occurred leaving Rayne bereft and filled with pain, anguish and rage. She endures this for five years until fate intervenes and her past comes back to haunt her. Her life takes a 360 degree turn around. Will Rayne finally be able to put the past where it belongs and have a chance of happiness again?

I love a good lesbian western story and I’ve been looking forward to this sequel since I finished the last page of Rayne Comes To Town. I have to admit to getting quite a surprise that this book didn’t carry on directly from it. I was so looking forward to reading more of Rayne and Emma. However, the story here is a good one, which more than made up for any assumptions about this book I’d already made.

The story is told with flashbacks and a dream like sequence, which was seamlessly woven in to the present day story. Very well written and so easy to follow.

I love the characters, they all interact well together. I found it very easy to lose myself in the story and visualize myself amongst the characters in the well described old west setting. Once I started this book, I couldn’t put it down. I had to keep on until I’d finished it. There are twists, turns and surprises along the way. Some good and some bad. The fact that I was on a high one minute and a low the next, shows how well written this story was.

I’m not sure if we can expect any more from Rayne, but I certainly hope we can.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment