Monday 2 June 2014

In A Heartbeat by RJ Nolan




LA Metro Series
 
Veteran Police Officer, Sam McKenna has a commitment phobia. Dedicated to her job, chasing criminals, even putting herself in the line of fire doesn’t worry her. But one mention from any woman of even the tiniest bit of commitment sends Sam running in the opposite direction. Sam is a love them and leave them kind of girl. A failed relationship and dark secrets from her past have made Sam this way.
 
Doctor Riley Connolly is a top notch trauma surgeon. Her whole life has been spent trying to please her aunt and uncle at the great cost of her own happiness. This includes dating men and hiding her sexual identity from everyone.
 
Sam and Riley’s paths cross when Sam is called to the hospital and they meet for the first time. It’s almost the last time, when both women face a life threatening situation. Suffering a traumatic fall out from their ordeal brings both women close together. Unfortunately, although attracted to each other, a relationship is out of the question, isn’t it?
 
How can Sam, a confirmed single, out of the closet lesbian and a closeted doctor ever have a happy ever after?
 
I’ve been eagerly waiting for this next instalment in this brilliant, well written series since I read LA Metro a few years ago. RJ Nolan has written about the same characters with some welcome new additions. This time she’s telling the story of Sam, Jess’s sister. But Jess and Kim are playing a nice sized secondary part too.
 
This is a standalone book and you’ll have no trouble getting right into it. But, I would highly recommend you read LA Metro first. This gives the background on some of the characters as well as being a wonderful read too. Why miss out?
 
These multidimensional characters are so easy to get to know and love. The scenic descriptions are so well written that I simply immersed myself in the story alongside of them all and lived it with them. The story is layered and flows steadily along at a nice pace. Once I started it, I had to finish it in one sitting.
 
Although this is a reasonable length, it still wasn’t long enough for me. I’m so looking forward to more from RJ Nolan. For me, there is nothing like a tried and tested formula where romance is concerned. This is it at its best. It’s no wonder it shot to number one best seller on Amazon.
 
I’ve added this to my re-read folder and once the series is complete, I’ll enjoy reading it all again in it’s entirety.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment